Road Traffic Accidents - Hit & Run

Tragically, pedestrians can fall victim to hit and run accidents where the driver has left the scene.

Always report accidents when you have been injured to the Police immediately - even if you don’t have details of the offending vehicle.

In cases involving hit and run, the injured pedestrian can still seek compensation even although the offending motorist is never traced. The Motor Insurers Bureau (MIB) Untraced Drivers Agreement allows innocent victims of accidents to seek an award for compensation. Once the application is received, the MIB will investigate the claim and assess compensation. We can assist you in submitting the application and guide you through the entire process, from start to finish.

With hit and run cases, time limits apply. For personal injury cases, the claim must be submitted within three years and a claim for damage to personal property within 9 months. If the claim relates to personal injury and damage to property, the time limits apply to each part of the claim separately.

For hit and run cases, you must have reported the incident to the police within 14 days. The crime reference number will also be required. In the case of a property damage, you must have reported the accident with 5 days to the Police.

What to do if you've had a Hit and Run accident or the other Driver isn't Insured

  • Report the accident to the Police immediately.
  • Take details of the other vehicle (if possible) including the Registration. Even if the other car has driven off, try and make a note of the model or colour of the car, together with a description of the driver.
  • CCTV. Sometimes accidents can be caught on camera. If this is case, look at the accident scene and see whether there are any private or public CCTV cameras of the accident scene.
  • Take photgraphs of the accident damage or your injuries
  • Witnesses - take telephone and address details of any witnesses and keep them in a safe place - the MIB always ask for this.
  • Accident circumstances. Always make an immediate record of exactly how the accident occurred eg. date, time, location etc. A full description will always be required as part of a claim to the MIB.

If you have been the victim of a hit and run incident, you need expert advice so it is best to contact us directly on 0333 555 7781

Quick Enquiry

Enter your details above to enquire or just give your name and number to request a call back from one of our specialist pedestrian accident lawyers.